Thursday, March 13, 2008

Hmm

I've been trying to work on the "striped" sweater for Schaefer... it's not overtly striped any more, but that's how Cheryl initially described what she wanted, so that's what I've been calling it. See?



It uses several colorways, but it doesn't scream STRIPES!

Anwyay, I've been trying to focus on that, but signed up for training yesterday which I expected wouldn't be very interesting (I was right, although it was helpful), so I needed to start some socks. And here they are:



I'm trying another pattern from New Pathways for Socks Knitters--this is the Veil of Leaves Sock using the cedar architecture (except that I haven't gotten to the heel shaping yet, so there's no visible architecture at all). The photo in the book isn't quite clear enough for me to be sure, but I don't think the sample sock and the directions match. The directions have you make a little purl-side out hem at the cuff, but when I squint at it, the photo either shows a knit-side out hem, or a regular (no hem at all) cast on. I made the purl-side out hem as in the directions, but that looked wrong to me, so I backtracked and turned it knit-side out. It's better, but you decrease in the row after the hem is "sealed," and that makes the edge ruffle a bit (for me.. maybe I should have thought of this and used a smaller needle?). It's less ruffled when it's on a foot, but I'm still not sure about it--I may finish the sock, separate the hem and decrease round from the rest, then knit a new hem on the same number of stitches as the body of the sock. Clearly, I was not destined to follow any pattern exactly, even when I mean to.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm back atcha. Do you think the ruffle could be an innovative attempt to avoid the too tight cast on issue? If it indeed stretches out on the leg, that is.