Monday, April 21, 2008

ISO Socks

I have a knack for casting on the exact number of stitches to make hand-dyed yarn pool (hey, everyone needs a superpower, right?), so I’m always on the lookout for ways to break up the color repeats. The tuck stitch caught my eye, but in the round, all of the rows would purled, and I’m not willing to purl an entire pair of socks. And then it hit me: make the socks inside out, so they’re mostly knit, then turn them right side at the end. I peeked inside some handmade socks: a toe-up, figure-eight cast-on looked great from the inside, and so did an after-thought heel.



The 4-stitch repeat means that the pattern is easy to memorize, and that the sock’s circumference is easy to adjust: just work the toe increases more or fewer times, keeping a multiple of four.

Difficulty
Intermediate

Size: To fit an average woman’s foot

Finished Measurements: 8 inches (circumference, unstretched)

Materials:
Schaefer Yarn Co. “Anne” 560 yards/ 4 oz. ball. 1 ball. Anne is produced in one of a kind colorways.

Set of US size 1, 2.25 mm double pointed needles
Darning needle
Scrap yarn of similar weight in contrasting color

Gauge: 36 sts/40 rows = 4 inches in stockinette stitch

Price: $4.00

Purchase a PDF through Ravelry here, or from my Etsy shop.

No comments: