Tuesday, July 31, 2007

ISO Socks

I've liked the look of this tuck stitch (from Vogue Knitting) for years. I used it to make my sister a pair of worsted weight socks years ago, and they went on forever... the purl side is the right side, and for socks, that meant I had to purl the entire pair. Good thing it was worsted weight, huh?


Mom's Feet

Anyway, I thought about it on and off and finally (just this December...) realized I could make them inside out (knitting!), then turn them at the end. I made a pair and gave them to my mom for Christmas. Those are her feet up there, and my toes below. The tuck stitch pattern is worked over 4 stitches, so it's easy to memorize, and that the circumference is easy to adjust: just work the toe increases a few times more or less, keeping a multiple of four.


My Feet


Details
Pattern: three-page PDF (after you purchase the pattern, you'll receive an email with a link to download it)
Cost: $4.00
Yarn required: 350 yarns of light fingering weight
Gauge: 9 sts/in
Needles: I used size 1s
Sample: Anne, from Schaefer Yarn. I used about 2/3 of the skein, with enough left over to make a pair of footlets.

Pattern: See the sidebar for details.

No comments: