Saturday, March 17, 2007

Ohio!


I haven't actually fallen off the edge of the earth or been abducted by aliens, although it does seem that way from to time. Keivn's paternal grandfather passed away earlier in the week, and we--along with every relative he's every seen, and some he hasn't--converged on his grandmother's house in Toledo to comfort and distract her. In between visits to the house, Kevin and I have been putting together three collages of family photos for visiting hours at the funeral home tomorrow. And I've been working on my Socks that Rock sock club sock (which does indeed have an oddly phallic look, because of the shape of the toe and the ribbed foot..it's not the ideal sock for holding up to a roomful of relatives who barely know me!) Speaking of which-does the ankle seem tight to you too, or is it just me? it's fine once it's on, but it's hard to get over the heal.

In between, we've been eating way too much. Most of it is fried or dessert, so I'm starting to fantasize about fruits and vegetables... apples.... nice, crisp baby carrots. Or cabbage. I love raw cabbage. Which is weird, but at least it's healthy weird. The hotel has some kind of a deal with a gym to let guests workout for free, so we've run twice and taken a spinning class, and are probably going to go again tomorrow. I can't believe I've turned into someone who needs to exercise to feel normal (in gym class, I always walked part of the mile run for the president's fitness test), but there you are. We just missed the storm that apparently shut down all air travel on the east coast on Friday, and with any luck, we'll make it home on Tuesday without anything out of the ordinary happening. To make sure we don't get delayed, I have enough knitting to keep me amused for days: the socks, which I cast on on the way to the airport, and a skein of lace weight for a shawl from Victorian Lace Today.

2 comments:

Sunflowerfairy said...

Condolences to you and your husband. It's tough to lose a loved one.

Toledo has to have atleast one yarn store, no?

See you soon Weds, if you are back by then.

Anonymous said...

Well, darn. I was hoping for the 'abducted by aliens' posting. I wonder what sort of knitwear they prefer?