Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Deviation

I'm deviating from my self-imposed three at a time project rule... the socks are kind of getting to me (I'm making Kevin another pair, since I had another skein in Kevin-friendly colors--grey, with occasional black bits--and it seemed a waste to keep it for myself. But gosh, does that extra bit of length seem interminable!). So, naturally, I thought I'd try something quick. Like a sweater!

On the bright side, it's a kid's sweater for Afghans for Afghans. Backstory: I started a sweater for me a few weeks back (not yet blogged or photographed, since there's only a couple of inches of it so far), a bottom-up seamless one, following one of the Elizabeth Zimmerman patterns from Knitting Without Tears. I'm not sure which one yet, and since they all start out the same way, I don't really need to decide till I've made the lower body and sleeves, and it's time to join them up. So I'm trying out the seamless hybrid construction.

I won't be able to try the kid's sweater on, of course, and I don't need to confirm that the directions work, but the one I'm going to make for me is knit with 2 strands of laceweight, on size 6 needles... so I want to be sure I'll like how the decreases look before I commit to it. I'm especially worried about the saddle portions, across the tops of the chest, since I've knit bands like that before, and not been crazy about them.

So to test that out, I'm making this kid's sweater. And compared to the socks, it's zipping along--I'm using Shepherd Classic 100% Wool, on size 8 needles. Practically chunky, compared to sock yarn on 1.5s. I knit the body on Saturday, started the sleeves Sunday, finished them and joined the parts yesterday, and worked some of the longest yoke rows just now.

Also speedy: the mitten I'm designing for Schaefer Yarns--they asked for cables, and after perusing my stitch libraries, I settled on adapting and reversing the cable-to-seed stitch sections from the sleeves of Rapunzel. The first one's just about done, and I think I'll have enough for a hat or ear warming headband thingy of some kind. What are those called, anyway... earwarmers?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I checked Sierra Trading Post... they called them Headbands and/or Earbands : )

Anonymous said...

Is this the great green sweater you were working on last night at SnB? I was way down at the other end of things, but I couldn't help but notice all the great colors!

By the way, I tagged you for a fun meme on my blog. Participation is optional!