Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Everything But Knitting

I'm still knitting gifts I can't write about (although I did knit a red scarf for the Red Scarf Project that I could probably write about, as I don't think s/he reads my blog). I made great progress over Thanksgiving, since Kevin drove both ways when we visited my parents in Ithaca, NY, and I managed to stay mostly awake in the car. Now I just have a zillion socks left--which I have convinced/deluded myself is no problem at all, since I spent that year knitting a pair of socks a week. Tune in on December 24 to see if I've given myself a puncture wound in my right pointer finger.

In other news, rowing winter training has started, which is handy since I'm trying/doing the Concept 2 holiday challenge again this year--so, 200,000 m between Thanksgiving and Christmas. It shouldn't be a big deal--about 45 minutes on the erg most days from now till Christmas--but sometimes I want to run instead of (rather than in addition to) erging, and the ergs at the gym are not encouraging. I was pleasantly surprised to find a mostly functional erg at the gym yesterday--maybe they've tuned them up? Fortunately, any meters on the erg during practice also count, and those ergs are in good shape. But my poor log card (which has a chip to save your workout) has been acting up, so I keep having to remember what I've done With My Brain. Poor me.

Hmmm.... I've also done some sewing, which I can't talk about either. But wait! Here's something:

Months ago, I cut out the pieces for a cozy cube (a fabric-covered storage cube, from It Seams to Me). Weeks ago, I went to the fabric store for interfacing. After much searching and consultation, I found the right kind, grabbed a package, and went on my merry way. A couple of days later, when I finally opened the package, I discovered 1 (one) 14 x 18 inch piece of interfacing--nowhere near enough for the 5 (five) 9 x 9 squares I needed. So back I went to the fabric store over Thanksgiving for 2 more packages--then since the rest of the pieces were here, I couldn't finish it till Monday. I think it turned out ok--and would have been a fast project if I hadn't taken such long breaks between steps (and been so slow to get my supplies). And now I have enough interfacing left over for 2 smaller, shallower boxes too.

If you could peek inside the box (which would require me to take pictures...), you'd see that I've been crocheting! A little bathroom rug/bathmat from the bottoms of t-shirts, leftover when Kevin cut up his race shirts for a t-shirt quilt. Also fast, but I'm lazy about cutting up the shirts, because I end up covered in white fuzz. I think I'll still have shirt pieces left after I finish the mat, so I'm thinking about making some baskets next.

And I spun--3 oz of llama/wool/silk/mohair/? from Mocha's Fiber Designs, in a pretty grey/blue/green/gold colorway. I'm thinking a cowl... after Christmas.


Laurie said...

Oaky, I'm impressed. I'm only doing the 100,000 meter challenge, and I feel like I am being tortured. DId it last year, to see if it could be done. What is this log chip you speak of? We were thinking of upgrading to PM4 but it doesn't do wireless.

gale (she shoots sheep shots) said...

yay for the red scarf and Red Scarf Project!!! and everything else too. Maybe I'll see you at SnB one of these weeks and get a peek at what you're up to.