Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Thinking

I had all kinds of good ideas while I was running this morning, then forgot about them as soon as I got near a keyboard.

I think I mostly thought about the purple sweater (plus it's the one thing I can write about). I took apart the shoulder and sleeve seams over the weekend, removed the collar and front facings, then unraveled down to the beginning of the sleeve cap and armscye shaping. I put all those live stitches on a circular needle, and plan to work a yoke of the Knitting Without Tears variety (except that I may cry if I work tucks in the yoke to match the hem and cuffs--I remember that working the tucks the first time drove me batty).

I'd decided all that before I started, so it was the trim I was thinking about while running. The original trim made the sweater very stiff (possible knitting Cascase 220 on size 7 needles didn't help either)--but I hadn't realized how stiff till I took the trim off--there were places where two layers of trim overlapped (plus the visible, outside layer, of course!), and a number of seams where three layers of fabric were sewn together. I think I'll make a turned hem around the neck to match the lower hem and sleeves--and because that's one place I actually do want some stability! But for the front edges, I think I'll work an attached I cord, like the front of Manu (possibly with similar buttonholes, since I really like them).

All this imaginary refashioning has me thinking about other sweaters which aren't quite right--like my Rapunzel...



I wore it happily for a couple of years, but it's is driving me crazy today (I decided to wear it to see if it continued to annoy me all day, and so far, it's going a great job).

I think it's just that the shoulders are too wide (also a problem for the purple sweater, and this kind of amazes me because my shoulders are fairly wide), which then makes it look too big overall, even though it's not really. Or at least not very much. And it's not helping that even after more than six years, it still has a temporary closure.

Behave yourself, Rapunzel, or you'll be next!

1 comment:

weeble wobble said...

I really would not have noticed the shoulder width until you pointed it out.. even so it still seems to me like a feature, not a drawback... it has a nice proportion along with your bust line and waist. But I know, when something just annoys you about a garment, it just annoys. I think it's stunning though!